Whether you’re looking for a promotion or a new job, the new year is a time to start fresh and refocus on your professional goals. Use December to reflect on the past year and what you want to change and achieve in 2021. You’ll be ready to hit the ground running on January 1 if you plan ahead.
Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Write down your wins. List your top 3 professional accomplishments in 2020. Add your wins to your resume and LinkedIn profile and be ready to talk about them. If you’re looking for tips on how to prep your resume for a Federal Government position, check out our Federal Resume Tips.
- Set a career goal for 2021. Make a plan for the year. Is there one skill you want to perfect or project you want to complete? Write it down and keep it visible. If finding a new job is your goal, AFCS has thousands of jobs across the country in more than 600 different professions. Find new opportunities on our Job Map.
- Tie up loose ends. Finish those nagging, small tasks you’ve been putting off so you can focus on what’s important.
- Clear out the clutter, digitally and physically. Clean up your inbox, delete, file, or (gasp!) unsubscribe from emails that aren’t adding value. Reorganize your workspace and add some inspiration by framing your career goal or a favorite quote. Here are 50 inspirational quotes and 45 beautiful pieces of career advice to get you started.
- Start your healthy habits now. We all plan to eat better and get more sleep in the new year. Start now so your body adjusts and your energy levels are at 100% in January. Also, think about your time management habits. Are you spending time on what matters or is it all emails and meetings? Try a new time management technique.
We know 2020 has been unusually tough. Let’s plan now to make 2021 our best year yet.
How are you planning for success in 2021?